I offer manuscript evaluation, developmental editing, line editing, proofreading, and other services on a freelance basis. I am a current member of the Editorial Freelancers Association, Interstitial Arts Foundation, Science Fiction Poetry Association, and SFWA (Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America). You can view my freelance services here.
Approved Freelance Editor, St. Martin’s Press (August 2014 to present)
- Copy editing and proofreading, assigned per project. Work completed to date includes books from Minotaur Books and Tor imprints.
Freelance Editor (June 2008 to present)
- Substantive editing, line editing, copyediting, proofreading, page layout, typesetting, and critiquing manuscripts on a freelance basis. I have edited full-length novels, short fiction, single-author collections, anthologies, screenplays, and non-fiction including academic papers.
- I have also worked with medical professionals editing papers and presentations using the American Medical Association (AMA) style guide.
Editor-in-Chief, Lakeside Circus (2013 to present)
- quarterly magazine of short speculative fiction, including poetry.
Managing Editor, Dagan Books, Ltd. (2010 to present):
- Responsible for acquisitions, publication layout and design, ebook creation, contracts, marketing, social media management, grant writing, educational outreach, and staff/project supervision.
- Editor, Cthulhurotica 2. Second in the popular series of Lovecraftian erotica. In progress.
- Co-Editor (with KV Taylor), FISH. Anthology of fantastical fish tales. Print/ebook. Published January 27, 2013.
- Editor, IN SITU. Anthology of science fiction tales centered around aliens and archaeology. 248 pages. Print/ebook. Published July 10, 2012.
- Editor, Cthulhurotica. Anthology of Lovecraftian erotica. 344 pages. Print/ebook. Published Jan 1, 2011; revised edition Jun 10, 2012.
First Reader, Crossed Genres Magazine, Science in My Fiction (August 2010 through June 2011)
First Reader, Dark Quest Books, LLC. (June 2010 through January 2011)
Academic Editor, Sacramento City College (June 2005 to July 2008)
- Provided technical and substantive editing for college students, including editing for style where necessary. This position included tutoring students on manuscript format using Chicago Manual of Style and Modern Language Association (MLA).
Copy Editor/Proofreader, Newspaper and Magazine (1992 to 2001)
- Provided copy editing using the Associated Press Stylebook. Edited for content, clarity, and length; provided fact-checking (specifically for potential libel issues and opinion misstated as fact) when needed.
- Wrote display copy (headlines, captions, etc); did proofreading, typesetting and page layout as required. Am familiar with both paper and digital layout techniques.